Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Ephesians 2

Read: Ephesians 2

Have you ever felt like the odd one out? Or were you ever the kid on the playground that never got picked to play in any of the games? I have been that kid. I can remember growing up and feeling left out in many areas. I can remember this one instance in particular growing up. We were on a family vacation in North Carolina. I loved going up there. Mountains are some of God’s greatest creation to look at. Anyways, I remember playing basketball with my cousin that we vacationed with. Let me be honest, basketball is not my sport. I enjoy shooting the basketball, but playing competitively was never my specialty. But I was playing basketball with my cousin and we joined a pick up game with some kids that were in the park where we were. My cousin was awesome at the sport, he actually scored every point. Me on the other hand, I was a joke. I would get the ball and either hand it right back or, wherever I was, I was the kid that took the ridiculous shot that was impossible to make. I was horrible. After the game was over the kids that were playing with us told my cousin he was awesome, were giving him high fives, bowing and worshipping, you get the picture. They then looked at me. No high fives. No “good game.” They basically told me I was a funny looking loser. I remember going to where my dad was sitting and feeling so bad. I wanted to strangle those kids. I told my dad what had happened and I cried like a little girl. I felt like I had no part in the friendship that my cousin and those kids had formed. I was an outsider.

Did you know that at a time, we were outsiders to the heirs of God? We had no part in His Kingdom. You see, the Jews were God’s chosen people that He had selected from the earth. Abraham found favor in God’s eyes and from that favor the Jewish nation was born. I was left out. But God, being full of grace, through His Son Jesus Christ, made a way for all of us! This brings joy to my heart like none other! Think about that for a minute! We are those Gentiles mentioned. By the blood of Jesus Christ we were bought into the family of God! This is why we worship and live for Him! I know that this goes far beyond the illustration mentioned above, but centering in on verse 19 really brings the thought home. “We are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with the saints, the members of God’s household.” We belong to our God! We fit in, perfectly! We don’t have to feel bad and cry to our dad’s for being left out! Be encouraged today by this thought and live like you have been given a seat at the table of the King.

No comments:

Post a Comment